समस्त शिक्षकों, पालकों एवं विद्यार्थियों से अनुरोध है कि यदि पोस्ट में कोई अधूरी या भ्रामक जानकारी हो तो हमारे Official Email ID: [email protected] से हमें यथाशीघ्र बताने का कष्ट करेंगे.
The Voice of the Rain WALT WHITMAN Class 11th English
The Voice of the Rain Poem Question Answers
Think it out
I. 1. There are two voices in the poem. Who do they belong to? Which lines indicate this?
Ans: The two voices in the poem are the ‘voice of the rain’ and the ‘voice of the poet’. The lines which indicate the voice of the rain are ‘I am the Poem of Earth, said the voice of the rain’ and the lines which indicate the voice of the poet are ‘And who art thou? said I to the soft-falling shower’.
2. What does the phrase “strange to tell” mean?
Ans: The phrase ‘strange to tell’ means that it was strange for the soft-falling rain to reply to the poet’s question. When the poet asked the rain ‘who art thou?’ the rain replied ‘I am the Poem of Earth’.
3. There is a parallel drawn between rain and music. Which words indicate this? Explain the similarity between the two.
Ans: The lines ‘For the song, issuing from its birth-place, after fulfillment, wandering Reck’d or unreck’d, duly with love returns’ draws a parallel between rain and music. Here, the poet compares the life-cycle of the rain and the song. As the song originated from the heart of the singer, wanders to the world, whether liked or not, comes back to its birth-place in the end with lots of love. Similarly, the rain that originates from earth (birth-place), fulfills its duty to beautify and purify the earth and wanders and comes back with love for its creator.
4. How is the cyclic movement of rain brought out in the poem? Compare it with what you have learnt in science.
Ans: In the poem, the water rises from the land and the bottomless sea in the form of vapour. It then changes its form, transforms itself into clouds. It comes down to the earth in the form of rain to wash drought, provide water, give life to unborn and latent seeds inside the earth. The rain purifies and beautifies the earth.
In science, the water is evaporated in the form of water vapour, condenses in the sky to form clouds, and then rains down in the form of water into rivers, streams, ground, ocean, etc. In the poem, the rain describes its eternal journey itself.
5. Why are the last two lines put within brackets?
Ans: The last two lines are put within the bracket because they are the observations made by the poet and his thoughts. He made a similarity between the rain and the music.
6. List the pairs of opposites found in the poem.
Ans: 1. Day, Night
2. Reck’d, Unreck’d
3. Rise, Descend
The Voice of the Rain Poem Grammar Exercises
Notice the following sentence patterns.
1. And who art thou? said I to the soft-falling shower.
2. I am the Poem of Earth, said the voice of the rain.
3. Eternal I rise
4. For song… duly with love returns
Rewrite the above sentences in prose.
1. I asked the soft-falling shower about its identity.
2. The voice of the rain presented herself as the poem of earth.
3. The rain told the poet that she rises upwards in a never-ending process
4. The poet says that rain and music are similar to the song originates from the heart of the singer, it travels across and fulfills its purpose. It comes back with all the love for the singer.