Class 7 English Lesson 12 The Chinese – Our Neighbour
- Answer the following questions.
- Write the names of the two rivers mentioned in the lesson.
Answer – The names of the two rivers mentioned in the lessons are Lo and Huang Ho.
- Where was Chang going?
Answer – Chang was going to his native village.
- What was happening in Loyang?
Answer – The New Year celebration was happening in Loyang and everyone was in a holiday mood.
- What was carried along the street during the festival?
Answer – A huge paper model of a dragon with twinkling little lamps lit inside was carried along the street during the festival.
- What did the Emperor do at the beginning of the festival?
Answer – At the beginning of the festival the Emperor took part in ploughing a furrow to begin the week-long celebration.
- What did Chang want to be?
Answer – Chang wanted to be a mandarin.
- What shows were going on in the fair?
Answer – There were many shows of jugglers, acrobats, wrestlers, weightlifters, dancers, musicians going on in the fair.
- Did Chang buy anything from the stalls?
Answer – No, Chang did not buy anything from the stalls.
- Why was Chang happy?
Answer – Chang was happy to be a part of the wonderful and great Chinese Civilization.
- 1. Tick (✔) the correct sentences.
- Chang lives in our age.(X)
- Chang lived before the invention of silk.(X)
- Chang lived before the invention of paper.(X)
- Chang lived during the age when paper was invented.(✔)
- Write True or False against the statements.
- It was the festival of harvest.(False)
- It was the festival of lights.(False)
- It was the festival of lanterns.(True)
- It was the festival of New Year.(True)
- It was the festival of kite flying.(False)
- Choose the correct answer.
- The Great Wall of China is —————————.
- 2,500 kms long b. 2,700 kms long
- 2,300 kms long d. 2,400 kms long
Answer – d. 2400 kms. long
- The wall is stretched along the river ——————.
- Lo b. Huang Ho
- Yellow river d. Si-Kiong
Answer – b.Huang Ho
Add ‘-ion’ to the words given in column A and write them in column B. One is done for you.
Note: A letter or a group of letters added to the end of a word is called SUFFIX. It is used to change the class of a word; like change of Verb to Noun. Suffixes do not change the meaning of a word.
- Write the phrases as given in the examples using
(–ed, –en, –ing)
Boil – rice
Earth – pots
(Earthen – pots)
Fly – kite
(Flying – kite)
Increase – price
(Increased – price)
Wood – furniture
(Wooden – furniture)
Talk – bird
(Talking – bird)
Cook – food
(Cooked – food)
Gold – ring
(Golden – ring)
Weep – child
(Weeping – child)
Colour – pictures
(Coloured – pictures)
Rot – apple
(Rotten – apple)
Love – mother
(Loving – mother)
Note: -ed, -en, -ing are used to frame describing words.
- Fill in the blanks choosing the correct word from the box.
increasing, stretch, inventions, fertile, utensils, civilization
- Land which produces good crops has fertile soil.
- Prices of all the items are increasing now-a-days.
- Now-a-days we are using a lot of utensils made of steel.
- Modern age is called the age of inventions.
- We are a part of the great Indus valley civilization.
- Stretch a fence around this field.